Sunday, October 24, 2010

What did I learn and how can I use it in the future?

This week I learned about creating web pages. My family got a computer for Christmas when I was nine years old. At first I resented the idea altogether. I remember being angry the computer was the only thing we got (Back then a Gateway Desktop was about $2,000.). My mom told me I said something along the lines of "Why did we get a computer?" Flash forward many, many hours of gaming, web surfing, instant chatting, music discovering, and too many other things to count, and I can't think of a more stupid question for past me to ask.

One of the things I got into as a young computer user was creating my own website. Back then I used Angelfire.com and Geocities.com. Back then you had to use HTML. I don't think either of the sites provided other options. I remember trying to add a guest book to my site for people to comment on. The HTML tag for it was a paragraph long. At that time I didn't know how to copy and paste, so I wrote it down on a piece of paper and typed it character for character into the HTML box. Wow.

Anyway, the information I learned in class this week was a good refresher on what makes a good website, and, more importantly, how to make one without too much trouble. I can take the information I learned in class directly into my own classroom by creating a website for the class to use both inside and outside the classroom. A site would help make the students feel more involved and connected to the class.

No comments:

Post a Comment